I love my dad.  While talking to him on the phone today I found out that after a big snow storm yesterday he scraped snow from a long list o...

Old Man on a Four Wheeler

I love my dad.  While talking to him on the phone today I found out that after a big snow storm yesterday he scraped snow from a long list of people's driveways.  Discarding his lengthy to-do list, he without a second thought rigged up his four wheeler and got to work.  He enjoyed telling me about each of the families he had secretly helped in their neighborhood.  Some of them were near strangers and of course others were not.  But somehow he had found out about circumstances that helped him to know that a shoveled driveway would be a blessing to each of those that he did it for.

I heard in my dad's voice a feeling of contentment and gratitude for having served these people.  Of the recipients, I know one is a recent widow, several are in poor health, others were out of town, some just have a lot on their plate, and for some it would just be a nice surprise.

I want to be like my dad.


Recently he was released from a Branch President calling in a young single adults branch.  It is hard for even me to adequately describe what I know about how much that calling meant him, how much he loves those young people, having taught them, counseled them, rubbed shoulders with them, and to have felt the love and appreciation they in turn showed for him.  It has been a great heartache for him to have lost that role.  My heart hurts knowing the sadness he carries.

But instead of withdrawing himself or dwelling on what he misses, he proactively looks for opportunities to find new ways to serve and help others.  He makes himself busy helping those he is surrounded by, friends and strangers alike.

I wish I could have been behind him on the four wheeler or had my own so that I could have joined in on his snowy night adventure and seen first-hand the look of satisfaction and grin on his face each time he left yet another house.

Growing up I did not get along well with my dad.  I was headstrong, fiercely opinionated, and didn't mind a good butting of heads.  Where do you think I got such good debating skills?  Thankfully, I now see my dad dramatically different than from how I viewed him in my adolescent years.  Surprisingly, I now realize that we are so very much alike.  I respect him, his ideas, and his counsel.  I know that I was blessed with a dad whose example has shaped me beyond my comprehension.

Supposing you get on here and see this, thanks Dad.  It is wonderful to not only be your daughter, but your friend too.




You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.