My husband and I have been talking about the need to do this now for more than a year and a half. We affectionately call it, our story. On...

Our Story. Part 1

My husband and I have been talking about the need to do this now for more than a year and a half. We affectionately call it, our story.

Once upon a time...

My cousin Billie asked me if I wanted to go on a double date. She said this "good guy's" name was Mark. However, before the date was able to happen, I met Mark in a different scenario. I was invited by Billie to go to Zion National Park in Southern Utah with a large group. She said that this Mark fellow would also be going and I would have a chance to meet him before the date. "Oh great!," I thought. Instead of committing to a couple of hours on a date, I was now having to commit a whole weekend! I was thrilled about the trip, a change of scenery, and warmer weather so I figured I could handle having to be around this unknown guy a little longer than I initially agreed to.

The day of the trip came and I, a little nervous, hauled my butt over to the meeting place. Right off the bat there were lots of introductions, but none of them were Mark. I was getting curious when this guy was going to show up. It was so far seeming like a cool bunch of dudes.

Then it was announced that Mark just pulled into the driveway. A few minutes later he walked into the living room and I immediately recognized the guy. I had seen his chiseled jaw and perfect face before. A few months back, I had a bad run-in with him at the Institute building.

This is how the run-in went.

It was a Sunday afternoon after church when I was walking down the hall with my bestie Jane. We were laughing and chatting away. I remember feeling pretty foxy that day. As we turned the corner, I was mid laugh with a goofy grin on my face. Without intending to, I was looking right into the eyes of this really really good-looking guy who was standing against the wall. Also without intending, he was looking straight back at me... with my goofy grin ear to ear. I realized I couldn't wipe the toothy grin off my face without it being more awkward and unnatural, so I thought to myself, "Keep smiling, and keep walking. He'll smile back to make this less weird." And again, I was feeling pretty that day and assumed it wouldn't be asking to much to expect a smile back. But he didn't smile. He didn't even blink. He had a stone cold look on his face and looked right through me. I felt a little humiliated by this jerk and I got angry! I waited just long enough till we were out of ear shot when I quietly hissed to Jane that I hate when good looking guys are rude! Sheesh! I was really bugged.

(end of flashback)

With the run-in fresh in my memory, the outlook for the weekend was not looking good.

But I'm a resilient girl and thought I could still salvage the weekend if I put my best social-foot forward. So with that in mind, we all loaded up into his car.

On the drive, I was impressed with how much effort he put into the conversation with me and we both learned that we were into some of the same nature-based interests. He was sincerely trying to get to know a little bit about me. He earned enough points that I thought I could kick up my effort level a notch or two.

But my good impressions didn't last long.








You may also like

2 comments:

JKclark said...

What a cliff hanger! Ready for part 2.

Jane E. said...

Hiya! You need to finish this....and I think Mark needs to tell his side of the story as well. Miss you so much!

Powered by Blogger.