It was Mark's car that we all traveled in on the trip down to Zion National Park. He being the driver had paid for gas, our eats from J...

Our Story. Part 3

It was Mark's car that we all traveled in on the trip down to Zion National Park. He being the driver had paid for gas, our eats from JW's in Lehi (great burger joint) when we hit the drive-thru, and our entrance fee into the park. He told us that he would tally it all up and let us know what our share was.

A month went by and I hadn't heard from Mark.

I asked Billie a number of times if Mark had ever said anything to her about how much the trip had cost and how much each of us owed. She said he hadn't ever mentioned it and that he was probably just going to forget it.

My evaluation of Mark was that he didn't think I was cute. Besides not being cute, I certainly did not want him thinking that I was a moocher too! I needed to get him some dinero.

It was now Mother's Day Sunday and I had just got done visiting my old university ward at the Institute Building. Again, just like the Sunday so many months before, I was feeling pretty foxy.

Disclaimer: I do not walk around feeling foxy 24/7. But I do believe one should present their best self when worshiping the Lord. And so it is, that I frequently feel pretty on Sundays. Maybe pretty is the more appropriate word. I only use foxy in the context since I'm about to tell you that I am just about to run into Lord Voldemark again.

I felt on top of the world after having rubbed shoulders with my old ward mates. The sun was shining. The trees were blossoming with little pink flowers. Life was good, real good, until I spotted him. Mr. Hot Stuff himself in the parking lot getting into his car.

Immediately I realized the awesomely spiteful opportunity in front of me. I would march my sparkling-recently-cut-and-colored red hair in my 4-inch-that-make-me-taller-than-him heels over to his house and slap that money down in his hand that I owed him. Hallelujah! Take that!

I pulled up to his house, hurriedly wrote out a check (in my best handwriting) and tucked it into one of the fancy little notecards I had stashed in my console. I really didn't know how I should carry out my plan of attack. Before I could worry about it, Mark pulled into the driveway just as I was getting out of my car.

Here is the dialogue from our interaction that sunny afternoon.

Amanda: Just the person I am here for! *big smile*
Mark: Oh yeah?

Amanda: Yeah. I was in the neighborhood and wanted to drop by so I could get you the money I owe you from the trip. blah blah blah.
Mark: Thanks. You didn't need to do that. *smile*

Amanda: Yes, I did. blah blah blah
Mark: Cool. How have you been? *smiling*

Amanda: Really good, thanks. *smiling*
Mark: Any fun plans for the summer? *more smiling*

Amanda: Yeah! Lots of fun plans! I am most excited about a trip to Banff. I'm going to get a group together. (intentionally with holding an invitation) blah blah blah. It should be a blast! *smile*

Mark: Cool. *handsome smiling*

Amanda: Well, I better get going. I just wanted to make sure you got that. The trip was fun. *smile* blah blah blah. Tchau! (intentionally avoiding saying see you later to demonstrate I had no expectations).

Mark: Thanks. Bye. *one final smile*

End of scene.

I chuckled out loud as I drove away from Mark's house pleased with myself and the encounter. But Mark had caught me off guard. His warmth was unexpected. He was absolutely genuine and pleasant with me and I was nothing but a spiteful bum in heels.

At the time I was reading a dating advice book. Don't judge. The author recommended that a girl practice her flirting skills to help accustom her to going outside of her comfort zone.

So that Sunday evening I decided that based from his warm reaction to me, I could practice my flirting with Mark. Testing the waters, I decided to send him a little email. So excited to show my budding skills to someone, I snapped a picture of the message I sent to Mark and sent it to my bestie, Jane.


Proof that I am a dork. I also failed to include in the dialogue that
Mark had gotten a gruesome mountain bike injury since the last time I had seen him.


Soon after, Mark finally asked me on a date. I said yes. *smile*


Thats all I've got in me tonight. My brain is zapped. The conclusion is soon to come... Finally!! you are thinking!












You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.